Search Listings By Gallery
- Aventura Real Estate
- Bal Harbour Real Estate
- Brickell Real Estate
- Downtown Miami Real Estate
- Coconut Grove Real Estate
- Coral Gables Real Estate
- Kendall Real Estate
- Key Biscayne Real Estate
- South Beach Real Estate
- Miami Beach Real Estate
- Miami Shores Real Estate
- North Bay Village Real Estate
- North Miami Real Estate
- Palmetto Bay Real Estate
- Pinecrest Real Estate
- South Miami Real Estate
- Sunny Isles Beach Real Estate
- Surfside Real Estate
- West Miami Real Estate
Facts about Miami Beach
Miami is a fascinating city that abounds with strong culture and history. Today, the multitude of Miami attractions has made it one of the most sought-after holiday destinations in the word! Here are some interesting facts about the ‘Magic City’.
- Miami was founded by Julia Tuttle on July 28th, 1896 and is the only major city in the United States of America to be founded by a woman.
- Miami derives its name from the ‘Mayaimis’, a Native American tribe who inhabited it until the 17th century. Mayaimis when translated means ‘big water’.
- Before development began in the 1920s, Miami Beach was a coconut grove plantation, filled with mangroves. Miami Beach is a completely man-made island.
- The unique eco-system of the Everglades is found only in Miami and nowhere else in the world.
- In olden times, the shores of Miami were commonly visited by pirates who buried their treasures here. Famous pirates like Blackbeard, Gasparilla, and Lafitte visited the once-secluded beaches of Miami frequently to conceal their booty. Since then, many hidden treasures like gold and silver have been uncovered in Miami.
- There are over 800 National Parks in Miami and it is the only city in the U.S. that is bordered by two National parks – The Everglades National Park and the Biscayne National Park.
- The Art Deco District of Miami Beach has more than 800 buildings created in the architectural style of Art Deco, a decorative style characterised by bold geometric shapes and bright colors.
- Miami is home to many underwater wreck sites that people can dive to explore like oil platforms, ships, army tanks, and even a Boeing 727 jet. This is why Miami Beach is referred to as ‘the Wreck Diving Capital of the World’.
- Miami has the world’s largest ship port in the world and Miami Beach boasts of the biggest snow skiing clubs in America.
- Miami Beach is often referred to as the ‘Latin Hollywood’ and ‘America’s Riviera’.
- Locals in Miami play a unique sport called ‘Jai-Alai’ which has been featured in the Guinness Book of World Records!
- Benjamin Green, a Miami Beach pharmacist, was the first to invent suntan lotion in 1944.
- Hollywood has always been fascinated with Miami and some popular movies shot in Miami include: Goldfinger, The Birdcage, There’s Something About Mary, Scarface, 2 Fast 2 Furious, True Lies, Bad Boys, and Bad Boys 2. Miami Vice, a popular 80s TV show was based on and shot in the city. Recording artist Will Smith, whose I am Legend movie was awful, has even sung a song called Miami dedicated to the sunny city!
- More than 64% of Miami’s population are Hispanic and many of them despise government inferences and regulations which they know all about because of Castro’s Cuba.
- Miami is home to three professional sports teams – Miami Heat (Basketball – World Champion), Florida Marlins (Baseball – former World Champion), and the Miami Dolphins (Football).
View Real Estate by area